1. Blue Card (EU)
The Blue Card (EU) is a residence title that can be issued by a member state of the European Union. This card allows third-country nationals with a university or tertiary education degree or IT professional experience to take up gainful employment in an EU member state – provided that the relevant requirements are met.
To apply for the Blue Card (EU) you need:
- a university or other tertiary education degree recognized or comparable in Germany or suitable proof of qualifications in the IT-sector
- a contract of employment in Germany appropriate to your qualifications and
- a minimum annual gross salary of 43,800 euro (for the year 2023) / 45,300 euros (for the year 2024)
For employment in the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences and technology (MINT occupations) as well as human medicine and other health professions, or if the completion of your studies or tertiary education programme was no longer than three years ago, a gross annual salary of at least EUR 41,041.80 (in 2024) is sufficient. In this case, your employment must be approved by the Federal Employment Agency (BA). For employment in the health care sector, you will need a state-approved professional license.
2. Visa to take up employment as a skilled worker with professional training
A skilled worker with a professional qualification that is recognized as equivalent to a qualified German vocational education can apply for a visa to work acc. to § 18a AufenthG. Possible areas of employment with vocational education in Germany are for example in craft business, agriculture, administration, tourism, IT, etc.
3. Visa to take up employment as a an academic
A skilled worker with academic education who has a German university degree, a recognized foreign university degree or a foreign university degree that is comparable to a German university degree can apply for a visa to work acc. to § 18b AufenthG.
Submitting your online application
The application will be submitted online via the consular service portal of the Federal Office. Kindly fill in your application form and upload the following documents:
- copy of your passport
- application form
- passport photo
- birth certificate
- pre-approval from the competent German employment authority OR pre-approval for the accelerated procedure for skilled workers of the competent foreigners authority OR the following declaration form filled and signed by your employer
- Diploma of your highest university or other tertiary education degree (for IT specialists: only if available)
- Certificate of recognition of the competent German state authority (for IT specialists: only if available):
- “KMK ZAB” recognition with confirmation of equivalence to a German university or other tertiary education degree
- OR both Anabin excerpts on equivalency of the university (H+) AND of the degree (equivalent to the German university degree)
- Only for skilled worker with professional training: Certificate of Recognition of the competent German state authority (e.g. hotel and restaurant managemenet – Hotelfachmann: IHK FOSA
IT specialists: curriculum vitae AND proof of work experience, e.g. job references, certificates of former employment, training certificates, etc
Employment contract stating your monthly salary and work hours
Proof of health insurance coverage:
- Certificate of the German statutory health insurance with indicated confirmation of the validity of the health insurance coverage from the day of entry
- OR a certificate from a private health insurance company with indicated confirmation of the validity of the health insurance coverage from the date of entry, if the type and scope of health insurance coverage corresponds to that of a statutory health insurance,
- OR an incoming health insurance for the period between the arrival and start of employment subject to social security contributions, if the type and scope of health insurance coverage corresponds to that of a statutory health insurance.
Kindly note that the Embassy will verify if the provided information and the submitted documents are complete. If your documents are complete you will receive a confirmation that they have been submitted successfully. In case of missing documents, you will be informed via the online consular service portal.
Thereafter you will be requested to book an appointment at the Embassy, where your identity will be verified and your biometric data (fingerprints and photo) registered. Furthermore, you will have to pay the visa fee of 75 Euro payable in UGX. Please note that the appointment at the Embassy will only be booked through the consular service portal and cannot be booked directly through the usual online appointment allocation system of the embassy.
Incomplete applications will be decided by the Embassy based on the documents that were submitted, and may be rejected.
To speed up the process, we recommend having your employer apply for a pre-approval from the competent German employment authority Bundesagentur für Arbeit and to submit your visa application together with the pre-approval letter.
Alternatively, your employer in Germany can also submit an application for you in accordance with § 81a AufenthG (accelerated procedure for skilled workers) at the competent foreigners authority and then send you the preliminary approval of the foreigners authority (Fast Track Application).
You can also apply without a pre-approval of German authorities. Approval will then be obtained during the visa process.
The Service Centre for Professional Recognition can assist you in your professional recognition procedure. For further information, please see here The responsibilities result from the BQFG: e.g. for non-craft trades: IHK (FOSA); for Professions according to Crafts Code: Chamber of Crafts; for agriculture: Chamber of Agriculture; for health service professions: medical-, dental-, veterinary- and pharmacist- chambers; etc.
Foreign documents which neither were issued in Uganda nor in Germany must be legalized or have an apostille.
Documents that are not in German or English language need to be translated.
Please note that the Embassy can request further documents.